|Shake It Up|
Shake It Up intertitle
|Created by||Chris Thompson|
|Theme music composer||Jeanne Lurie, Aris Archontis and Chen Neeman|
|Opening theme||"Shake It Up" performed by Selena Gomez|
|Composer(s)||Michael Corcoran, Eric Goldman and Zed Kelley|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||75 (List of episodes)|
| Rob Lotterstein|
|Location(s)|| Chicago, Illinois(Setting) |
Los Angeles Center Studios
(Los Angeles, California) (Taping location)
|Camera setup|| Videotape (filmized);|
|Running time||23 minutes (approx.)|
| It's a Laugh Productions|
Disney Channel Original Productions
|Picture format|| 480i (HDTV)|
|First aired||November 7, 2010|
|Last aired||November 10, 2013|
Shake It Up is an American dance sitcom airing on Disney Channel in the United States. The series premiered on November 7, 2010. Created by Chris Thompson and starring Bella Thorne and Zendaya, the show follows the adventures of CeCe Jones (Thorne) and Rocky Blue (Zendaya) as they star as background dancers on a local show, Shake It Up Chicago. It also chronicles their misadventures on- and off-set, and their troubles and rising social status at school. Davis Cleveland, Roshon Fegan, Adam Irigoyen, Kenton Duty and Caroline Sunshine also are other main cast members in the series.
The show's original concept was for Disney to create a female buddy comedy, only with a dance aspect. The dance concept is Disney's third original series, after The Famous Jett Jackson and Sonny with a Chance, to use a show-within-a-show format. The series is also the first Disney Channel Original Series since So Random! to have more than six primary contracted cast members at one time.
On September 29, 2011, Disney Channel announced it had increased Shake It Up's second season order to 26 episodes. A second soundtrack with songs from the series, Shake It Up: Live 2 Dance, was released on March 20, 2012. A 90-minute special episode Made In Japan aired August 17, 2012 as the season two finale. On June 4, 2012, Disney Channel announced that Shake It Up was renewed for a third season and announced that Kenton Duty will not be a regular cast member for season 3, but will make special guest appearances. The third soundtrack Shake It Up: I <3 Dance was released on March 5, 2013.
Shake It Up revolves around the adventures of best friends Rocky Blue (Zendaya) and CeCe Jones (Bella Thorne) who, with the help of Rocky's brother Ty (Roshon Fegan) and his best friend Deuce Martinez (Adam Irigoyen), fulfill their dreams of becoming professional dancers when they land roles as dancers on a local show, "Shake It Up, Chicago!". CeCe and Rocky deal with their circumstances, by adapting and maintaining their social status at school while watching CeCe's little brother, Flynn (Davis Cleveland); and the antics of their TV show which includes matching the skills of their competition, notably brother and sister, Gunther and Tinka (Kenton Duty and Caroline Sunshine). The show also has storylines which include Rocky's brother, who also has dance and rapping skills. Selena Gomez & the Scene perform the theme song, "Shake It Up" and was featured on Shake It Up: Break It Down.
The show was ordered up as Disney's attempt at its first female buddy show,[clarification needed] but with a dance-driven aspect. Initially carrying the working title Dance, Dance Chicago, the original description was described as the journey of two kids on a contemporary American Bandstand-type show. Veteran television producers Chris Thompson, a former writer for Laverne & Shirley and creator of Bosom Buddies and Rob Lotterstein, who had worked on several series including Boy Meets World were assigned to work on the story. Casting for the show began in October 2009. Bella Thorne and Zendaya were cast as the two female leads, as well as Camp Rock cast member Roshon Fegan in a co-lead role. On May 21, 2010, with the title change revealed as Shake It Up, the production for the show was announced to begin in July, and anticipated for a fall 2010 premiere. President of Disney Entertainment, Gary Marsh said the Bella Thorne/Zendaya duo were the most engaging best friends they had seen on the network. On what makes the show different, Marsh said "while buddy comedies have been around since the start of television, ... this is the first time anyone has incorporated dancing into the underlying premise of a sitcom."
The concept of the show has been noted to be very similar to that of fellow Disney Channel series Hannah Montana, and according to The Sun-Sentinel, Shake It Up is the same approach with dance. Additionally, the show is Disney's third series to have a show-within-a-show following "Silverstone" in The Famous Jett Jackson and "So Random/Mackenzie Falls" in Sonny with a Chance. Chuck Barney of the Contra Costa Times said that the show's plots "play out in typical Disney Channel style with uncomplicated story lines, broad humor and moral uplift." In an interview, Bella Thorne said of the show, "It is about them going through the stuff that teens go through every day. The writing is very realistic. I have gone through most of these problems." Rosero McCoy, a choreographer for Camp Rock and Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam was tapped to be a choreographer for the show, along with Claude Racine. Shake It Up is shot at Los Angeles Center Studios.
The series succeeds Hannah Montana, Jonas L.A., I'm in the Band and Phineas and Ferb as Disney's latest foray into music-oriented series. According to Rick Bently of the Fresno Bee, the show's timing was to capitalize off the success of the current dance series' Dancing With the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance. Original music for the series has been produced and recorded by the show's cast and various artists, with the theme song "Shake It Up" performed by Hollywood Records pop band Selena Gomez & the Scene. The theme was written by Aris Archontis, Jeanne Lurie and Chen Neeman, who also penned the opening title themes to fellow Disney series Sonny with a Chance and Good Luck Charlie.
Costars Bella Thorne and Zendaya during a promotional event for the showIn initial casting, Disney searched for two female co-leads. Although boasting elaborate credits of prior television experience, including guest starring on Wizards of Waverly Place, Bella Thorne was cast after never dancing professionally before, and takes dance classes three times a week to improve. Zendaya had theater background prior to her casting, and grew up in theater when her mother worked in the California Shakespeare Theater in Oakland, California. Having the same agent that discovered Miley Cyrus, she won the role after several auditions and over 200 other hopefuls. On the casting of the two, Judy Taylor, Senior Vice President of Casting for Disney Channel commented that Zendaya was "completely engaging" with a "great presence" and that Thorne had "high energy" and viewers would "want to get to know her better the instant you meet her." One goal was for the two leads to have chemistry working together, and Thorne said of her relationship with Zendaya, "When we first met, there was this energy. It was like we were meant to be together."
Adam Irigoyen was cast as Deuce Martinez Irigoyen credited his family for his success, moving him out to Los Angeles two years prior for him to start his career. Irigoyen has previously worked on Wizards of Waverly Place. Davis Cleveland, whose work included guest appearances on Good Luck Charlie, Zeke and Luther and Hannah Montana Forever, was cast as CeCe's younger brother, Flynn.
Disney Channel veteran Roshon Fegan, who co-stars in both films of the Camp Rock film series, was cast as Rocky's older brother Ty. In the recurring role of Gary Wilde, R. Brandon Johnson was cast the day before the pilot and began taping the next day. Kenton Duty was cast as Gunther, after four audition attempts,. Stefanie Scott was originally cast as Gunther's twin sister Tinka, but Disney Channel decided to cast her as Lexi on A.N.T. Farm instead. Casting for Tinka ran again and Caroline Sunshine landed the role after canceling plans for a family vacation so she could audition. The brother/sister duo of Gunther and Tinka is said to be inspired by Ryan and Sharpay Evans of Disney's High School Musical series.
Some notable celebrity guest-stars are Renée Taylor, Chris Trousdale, John D'Aquino, Anneliese van der Pol, Kent Boyd and Cat Deeley of So You Think You Can Dance and America's Best Dance Crew contestants JabbaWockeeZ (Season 1 Champions), Quest Crew (Season 3 Champions), Poreotics (Season 5 Champions), Jungle Boogie (Season 5), Saltare (Season 5), Breaks8 (season 1), IaMmE Crew (Season 6 Champions), ICONic Boyz (season 6 runner-ups), Instant Noodles (Season 6) and Elektrolytes (Season 7 Champions).
Main article: List of all characters:
- Bella Thorne as CeCe Jones
- Zendaya as Rocky Blue
- Davis Cleveland as Flynn Jones
- Roshon Fegan as Ty Blue
- Adam Irigoyen as Deuce Martinez
- Kenton Duty as Gunther Hessenheffer
- Caroline Sunshine as Tinka Hessenheffer
- R. Brandon Johnson as Gary Wilde (season 1-2)
- Anita Barone as Georgia Jones
- Carla Renata as Marcie Blue
- Phil Morris as Dr. Curtis Blue (season 2-present)
- Buddy Handleson as Henry (seasons 1-2)
- Ainsley Bailey as Dina Garcia
- Jim Pirri as Uncle Frank (season 2)
- Anthony Starke as Jeremy Hunter (season 3-present)
- Leo Howard as Logan Hunter (season 3-present)
- Jonathan Chase as Phil (season 3-present)
Main article: List of Shake It Up episodes
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.S. Dates)|
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||21||November 7, 2010||August 21, 2011|
|2||28||September 18, 2011||August 17, 2012|
|3||TBA||October 14, 2012||TBA|
Good Luck Charlie crossover
On June 5, 2011, a Good Luck Charlie episode "Charlie Shakes It Up" premiered. In this episode Good Luck Charlie characters Teddy, Amy and Charlie all go to Chicago to visit their great-aunt Nell so they can get into the will and get rich. When they arrive, they take the wrong car and are mistaken for the Duncan Sisters (two famous dancers) on Shake It Up Chicago!. Rocky and CeCe notice that they are imposters when Flynn wants to get the real Duncan Sisters autograph. After Teddy and Amy explain the truth the real Duncan Sisters appear into the studio so Deuce locks them into the janitor's closet and Teddy, Amy and Charlie performed. Only CeCe, Rocky, Deuce, Flynn, and Gary appeared in the crossover because Disney claimed they only needed "base characters" It was counted as a "Good Luck Charlie" episode and not a "Shake It Up" episode.
Season 2 finale special
It was announced during the 2011 Licensing International Expo that a Shake It Up movie was in the works. It was confirmed that the movie title would be Shake It Up: Made in Japan and it was also announced that the movie would be 90 minutes long. It was broadcast Friday August 17, 2012 as an extended length season two final episode.
On December 23, 2011, a rebroadcast of the episode "Party It Up", where a female character complimented CeCe's brother, Flynn, with the line "'I could just eat you up...well, if I ate" aired on the channel that evening. Former Disney Channel star Demi Lovato, who left Sonny with a Chance in the fall of 2010 for counseling because of personal issues, commented on the episode, criticizing the network through Twitter for including a joke about eating disorders when she had struggled through the issue herself, and as one of the reasons for leaving the company's fold. Disney Channel's public relations account responded to Lovato by stating that episode and an episode of So Random! which had an eating disorder joke would be pulled from the network's airing cycle and reviewed further. The episode has since been made unavailable via Netflix's instant streaming service, along with it being removed from the iTunes Store. Later in 2012, the episode started airing regularly on Disney Channel with the offending joke removed.
The series has earned mixed reviews. Tom Gliatto of People magazine gave the series two out of four stars, writing, "Shake It Up doesn't shake up the kid-com formula one bit, but it has something more than the usual shiny-sparkly cuteness." It currently scores a 5.2 out of 10 on TV.com. Currently the most watched episode of the series is "Start It Up" with 6.2 million viewers. The episode "Weird It Up" is the least watched episode, scoring 2.5 million viewers.
According to Nielsen Media Research, the series premiere of Shake It Up garnered 6.2 million viewers and made its debut as the highest-rated series premiere in Disney Channel’s 27-year history, followed by Wizards of Waverly Place with 5.9 million viewers, then The Suite Life on Deck's premiere which garnered 5.7 million viewers, then the March 24, 2006 series premiere of Hannah Montana, which garnered 5.4 million viewers. The premiere scored an 11.0 rating (2.7 million viewers) among the 9- to 14-year-old demographic and a 10.6 rating (2.6 million viewers) among the 6- to 11-year-old demographic. It also became the channel's highest-rated Sunday premiere for an original series on record with total viewers, kids aged 6 to 11 and teens aged 9 to 14.
Awards and nominations
|2011||Young Artist Awards||Best Performance in a TV Series - Leading Young Actress||Bella Thorne||Won|||
|Outstanding Young Ensemble in a TV Series||Bella Thorne, Zendaya, Davis Cleveland, Adam Irigoyen, Roshon Fegan, Caroline Sunshine, Kenton Duty||Nominated|
|Imagen Awards||Best Young Actress – Television||Bella Thorne|||
|2012||Young Artist Awards||Best Performance in a TV Series - Leading Young Actress||Zendaya|||
|Best Performance in a TV Series - Recurring Young Actor||Buddy Handleson|
|Best Performance in a TV Series - Guest Starring Young Actress 14-16||Evie Louise Thompson|
|Best Performance in a TV Series - Guest Starring Young Actor 11-13||Zayne Emory|
|Best Performance in a TV Series - Guest Starring Young Actress 10 & Under||Caitlin Carmichael|
|Outstanding Young Ensemble in a TV Series||Zendaya, Bella Thorne, Davis Cleveland, Adam Irigoyen, Kenton Duty, Caroline Sunshine, Roshon Fegan|
|Imagen Awards||Best Young Actress – Television||Bella Thorne||Won|||
|Hollywood Teen TV Awards||Favorite Television Actress||Nominated|||
|Favorite Television Show||Shake It Up|||
|Casting Society of America Awards||Outstanding Achievement in Casting - Children's Series Programming||Howard Meltzer, Suzanne Goddard-Smythe|||
|NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Program (Series or Special)||Zendaya|||
|ALMA Awards||Favorite TV Actress - Comedy||Bella Thorne|||
|Favorite TV Actor - Supporting Role in a Comedy||Adam Irigoyen|
|Kids Choice Awards Mexico||Programa Internacional Favorito||Shake It Up|||
|This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2011)|
|Country / Region||Network(s)||Series premiere||Title||Source(s)|
| Arab World||Disney Channel Middle East||January 29, 2011||التخلص منه حت|
|Argentina||Disney Channel Latin America||December 31, 2010 (Sneak Peek)
February 4, 2011 (Premiere)
|A Todo Ritmo
|Chile||Disney Channel Latin America||December 31, 2010 (Advance)
February 4, 2011 (Premiere)
|A Todo Ritmo
|Canal 13 (Chile)||December 26, 2011|||
|Australia||Disney Channel (Australia)||December 31, 2010 (Advance)
February 25, 2011 (Premiere)
|Shake It Up|||
|Austria||Disney Channel (Germany)||May 27, 2011 (Advance)
June 10, 2011 (Premiere)
|Shake It Up - Tanzen ist alles!
(Shake It Up - Dancing Is Everything!)
|Super RTL||October 23, 2011|||
|Brazil||Disney Channel (Brazil)||December 31, 2010||No Ritmo (In Rhythm)|||
|Singapore||Disney Channel Asia||March 12, 2011||Shake It Up|||
|Czech Republic||Disney Channel (Czech Republic)||January 29, 2011||Na Parket!
(To The Dance Floor)
|Denmark||Disney Channel Scandinavia||March 25, 2011||Shake it up!|
|France||Disney Channel (France)||April 20, 2011||Shake It Up|||
|Quebec||VRAK.TV||August 28, 2012||Shake It Up|||
|Greece||Disney Channel Greece||March 1, 2011||Κουνήσου στον ρυθμό (Move to the rhythm)|||
|Hong Kong||Disney Channel Hong Kong||April 4, 2011 (Advance)
April 9, 2011 (Premiere)
|Hungary||Disney Channel (Hungary)||January 29, 2011||Indul a risza! (Start the Wriggles)|||
|Israel||Disney Channel (Israel)||January 29, 2011||שייק (Shake)|||
|Italy||Disney Channel (Italy)||May 27, 2011||A Tutto Ritmo
|Japan||Disney Channel Japan||April 23, 2011||シェキラ！
|Netherlands||Disney Channel (Netherlands & Flanders)||March 8, 2011||Shake It Up|||
|Poland||Disney Channel (Poland)||January 29, 2011||Taniec Rządzi
|Portugal||Disney Channel (Portugal)||April 8, 2011||Shake It Up|||
|SIC||September 15, 2012|||
|Romania||Disney Channel (Romania)||January 29, 2011||Totul Pentru Dans (All For Dance)|||
|Russia||Disney Channel (Russia)||January 21, 2012||Танцевальная лихорадка
|Serbia||Disney Channel (Serbia)||January 29, 2011||Igraj
|Spain||Disney Channel (Spain)||April 8, 2011||Shake It Up|||
|South Africa||Disney Channel (Southern Africa)||January 29, 2011|||
|South Korea||Disney Channel Korea||July 2, 2011||우리는 댄스소녀
(We Are Dancing Girls)
|Taiwan||Disney Channel Taiwan||June 13, 2011||舞動青春
(March of the Youth))
|Turkey||Disney Channel (Turkey), Kanal D||January 29, 2011||Haydi Çalkala
(Come On, Shake It Up)
|Ukraine||Disney Channel Ukraine||January 29, 2011||Потанцюймо
|Canada||Family Channel||November 12, 2010||Shake It Up|
|Ireland||Disney Channel (UK & Ireland)||November 12, 2010||Shake It Up |
|United States||Disney Channel||November 7, 2010||Shake It Up||N/A|
- ^ Disney Channel Greenlights Pilot About Talking Dog, Gives 2 Series Back Orders, Deadline.com, September 29, 2011.
- ^ "Amazon.com: Shake It Up: Live 2 Dance: Various Artists: Music". amazon.com. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- ^ "Shake it Up! - 'Made in Japan' Episode Info". TV.MSN.com. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- ^ Disney Channel press release (June 4, 2012). "Disney Channel Orders Third Season of Top Rated, Dance-Driven Series "Shake It Up"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- ^ "Shake It Up: Season 3 is a Go! But OH, NO!". BopandTigerBeat.com. June 4, 2011. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- ^ a b c d "Dance-Driven Sitcom 'Shake It Up' Premieres Sunday November 7 on Disney Channel". TV By The Numbers. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- ^ a b c d e Barney, Chuck. "Teen is living her dancing dream on the Disney Channel". Contra Costa Times. The Kansas City Star. Retrieved 2010-11-07.[dead link]
- ^ a b c Andreeva, Nellie (October 28, 2009). "Disney orders Dance Dance Chicago pilot". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-11-07.[dead link]
- ^ Labrecque, Jeff. "Disney preps 'Dance, Dance Chicago'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2010-10-07.
- ^ a b c "Disney Channel Orders New Dance-Filled Buddy Comedy Series, "Shake It Up!"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- ^ Jicha, Tom. "New Disney Channel face is an old pro". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- ^ a b Amatangelo, Amy (2010-11-04). "New Disney darlings ready to ‘Shake It Up’". Boston Herald. Herald Media. Retrieved 2010-11-06.
- ^ a b c d e "Is 'Shake It Up' the Next 'Hannah Montana'?". Momlogic. GNH Productions, Inc. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- ^ Bently, Rick. "Young stars 'Shake It Up' on new Disney show". Fresno Bee. The McClatchy Company. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- ^ Copsey, Robert. "Gomez records new Disney theme song". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- ^ a b c Shady, Justin (October 22, 2010). "Coleman & Thorne: Duo 'Shake' up Disney". Variety (Reed Elsevier Inc.). Retrieved 2010-11-06.
- ^ Larsen, Peter. "O.C. teen lands role in Disney Channel's new "Shake It Up" series". The Orange County Register. Orange County Register Communications. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- ^ Gorman, Bill (June 16, 2011). "Disney Channel Original Movie "Lemonade Mouth 2" and "Shake It Up" In Development". Zap2It. Archived from the original on October 29, 2011.
- ^ http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Cable_20/So-it-begins-Disney-Channel-leads-upfronts.asp
- ^ "Disney Channel Program Episode Premieres - August 2012". Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- ^ Marcus, Stephanie (December 23, 2011). "Demi Lovato Slams Disney For Eating Disorder Joke On 'Shake It Up' (UPDATE)". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- ^ https://twitter.com/#!/DisneyChannelPR/status/150418514426081281
- ^ "Demi Lovato Slams Disney Channel - Eating Disorder Joke". Gossip Cop. 2011-12-23. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- ^ "Demi Lovato Fans Upset Over Last Episode Of So Random". Disney InfoNet. 2011-08-18. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- ^ "Picks and Pans: Shake It Up". People Magazine. December 20, 2010.
- ^ "Shake It Up - TV.com".
- ^ Levin, Gary (2007-10-18). "Nielsens: Friday night was 'Murder' on ABC". USA Today.
- ^ Levin, Gary (2008-09-30). "USAtoday.com". USAtoday.com. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- ^ Oldenburg, Ann (2007-01-14). "USAtoday.com". USAtoday.com. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- ^ "Shake it Up"! Averages 6.2 Million Viewers; Disney Channel's #2 Highest Rated Series Premiere Of All Time, TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 11-8-2010.
- ^ "32nd Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- ^ "26th Annual Imagen Awards - Nominees & Winners". The Imagen Foundation. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- ^ "33rd Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- ^ "27th Annual Imagen Awards - Winners & Nominees". The Imagen Foundation.
- ^ "Hollywood Teen TV Awards - Favorite Television Actress". Teen TV Awards.
- ^ "Hollywood Teen TV Awards - Favorite Television Show". Teen TV Awards.
- ^ "2012 Artios Award Nominations for Outstanding Achievement in Casting". Casting Society.
- ^ "NAACP Image Awards 2012: Full list of winners".
- ^ "Nominees Announced for the 2012 NCLR ALMA Awards(R), Airing Friday, September 21 (8:00-9:00 P.M. ET) on NBC, and Online Voting Launches at ALMAAwards.com". The Futon Critic.
- ^ "The Complete List of 2012 ALMA Award Winners".
- ^ "NOMINADOS OFICIALES A LOS KIDS CHOICE AWARDS MEXICO 2012". Nick News.
- ^ "Lista de ganadores de los Kids' Choice Awards México 2012".
- ^ 
- ^ Na Parket!
- ^ http://www.disney.dk/shake-it-up/index.jsp
- ^ http://www.disney.co.uk/shake-it-up/index.jsp