Cadet Kelly film poster
|Directed by||Larry Shaw|
|Produced by||Kevin Lafferty|
|Written by|| Gail Parent|
|Starring|| Hilary Duff|
Christy Carlson Romano
|Music by||David Kitay|
|Distributed by||Disney Channel|
|Release date(s)|| March 8, 2002 (US)|
August 18, 2005 (Ger)
August 19, 2005 (Italy)
February 6, 2006 (Hungary)
May 25, 2006 (Finland)
December 25, 2007 (Sweden)
|Running time||96 min.|
Cadet Kelly is a Disney Channel Original Movie starring Hilary Duff. The movie premiered with 7.8 million viewers, a high for the network at the time. This movie was Duff's second movie where she played the main character. The tagline used for the movie was Too Cool for Rules. This was Disney Channel's second movie filmed in Canada.
The plot of the movie concerns Kelly, a hyperactive and free-spirited eighth grade girl whose mother gets married to Brigadier General Joe "Sir" Maxwell (played by Gary Cole). When her new stepfather becomes the Commandant of a military school, Kelly enrolls there because it is the only school in the area. Kelly at first has trouble fitting in and obeying the orders of the officers above her, especially Cadet Captain Jennifer Stone, played by Christy Carlson Romano, who likes a fellow student named Cadet Major Brad Rigby who is played by Shawn Ashmore. They reach the point of being taken to court and seeing Kelly sentenced to shine the uniforms of the drill team, a team she looked down upon, seeing the drill team members as robots. However, she gradually takes a liking to them and tries out. She makes the drill team and even helps the school win second place at the regional drill competition.
During the competition her father, who had promised to be there, is injured during a photo shooting, in which he falls over the side of a cliff edge. Kelly, and Sir leave the competition when Kelly's father calls her on the her cell, which is their 'lifeline.' They find and rescue him, but by the time Kelly gets back to the competition, they're only down by five points. They manage to make it to second place.
- Hilary Duff as Kelly Collins
- Christy Carlson Romano as Cadet Captain Jennifer Stone
- Gary Cole as Joe Maxwell
- Andrea Lewis as Carla
- Shawn Ashmore as Cadet Major Brad Rigby
Other cast members
- Aimee Garcia as Gloria
- Sarah Gadon as Amanda
- Linda Kash as Samantha
- Nigel Hamer as Adam
- Avery Saltzman as Kevin
- Joe Matheson as General Archer
- Beverlee Buzon as Grace
- Dalene Irvine as Marla
- Christopher Tai as Sr. Cadet officer
- Josh Wittig as Cadet bugler
- Edie Inksetter as Math teacher
- Stewart Arnott as Captain Lawrence
- Desmond Campbell as Lt. Col. Ross
- Tim Post as Col. Mikkelson
- Martin Roach as Drill instructor
- Ashley Leggat as Dancer
- Steve Bryan as Background Performer
Primary filming for the school scenes was done at the Robert Land Academy, a military school in Canada. There were also some scenes that were taken in St. Andrew's College, a private school in Ontario, Canada. Hilary Duff was made an honorary Cadet Sergeant of the school during the production. The military advisor for the film, Lt. Andrew Long, drilled the actors in a "boot camp" style situation, often testing them with rehearsals of actual combat drills. He was very impressed with Hilary Duff's work, even remarking that she would do just fine in an actual military unit in Iraq.
- This was the very first Disney Channel Original Movie to air on The Wonderful World of Disney on ABC in the United States and CBC in Canada. The second DCOM to air on ABC and CBC was Camp Rock.
- This is one of 2 Disney Channel Original Movies filmed in Canada
- Christy Carlson Romano's character's name is Jennifer Stone, the name of another Disney Channel star known for playing Harper Finkle on Wizards of Waverly Place.